inner page banner

2023 Hurricane Season – What to expect

June 1, 2023

The 2023 hurricane season is anticipated to be a near-normal season, with a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season, and a 30% chance of a below-normal season, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). This prediction is crucial for coastal communities, emergency managers, and insurance companies to prepare for the potential impacts of hurricanes on lives and property.

NOAA Forecast

NOAA’s forecast for the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season includes 12 to 17 total named storms with winds of 39 mph or higher. Out of these named storms, 6 to 9 are expected to become hurricanes (74 mph or higher), and 3 to 5 are predicted to become major hurricanes (Category 3, 4, or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher). These numbers fall within the average range for an Atlantic hurricane season, which typically sees 14 named storms, seven hurricanes, and three major hurricanes.

Colorado State University (CSU) predictions

Colorado State University (CSU) predicts a slightly below-average season, with 13 named storms and major hurricanes making landfall. CSU’s forecast takes into account various factors, such as sea surface temperatures, atmospheric conditions, and the potential influence of climate phenomena like El Niño or La Niña. The university’s forecast also highlights the importance of preparedness, as a below-average season can still bring devastating impacts to communities in Florida.

The 2023 hurricane season predictions underscore the importance of staying informed and being prepared for hurricanes. Coastal residents and businesses should take extra precautions to protect their properties and ensure they have a plan in place in case of evacuation orders. It is crucial to monitor local weather forecasts, follow guidance from local authorities, and have an emergency preparedness kit.

Stay Vigilant at all times!

Remember that seasonal forecasts don’t predict specific details of individual storms, such as their intensity, track, or location. Property owners and communities must remain vigilant throughout the hurricane season.

The 2023 hurricane season is predicted to be near-normal, with a range of 12 to 17 named storms. However, the possibility of an above-normal or below-normal season is always present. Regardless of seasonal forecasts, coastal communities need to be prepared and take necessary precautions to minimize the potential impacts of storms.

Jason Southard
Jason Southard
VP Sales & Marketing at Wrights Impact Window & Door LLC | Website

Jason joined Wrights in 2018, and leverages decades of experience as a business leader in both B2C and B2B markets, with a wealth of experience in marketing, management, and technology. Before joining Wrights, Jason had significant Client, Consulting, and Agency experience from blue chips to start-ups – working across national and global roles. Originally from the UK, Jason has executive education from the London School of Economics and Oxford University’s Saïd Business School.

Free Estimate
Act now to protect your home. Save on energy & insurance.

Contact Us Anytime For An Accurate In-Home Inspection